Top 10 Things to Do in Orlando Information
Ok, let's be realistic for a minute... There are a million and one things to do in Orlando, and narrowing them down into a "Top 10" list is pretty darn difficult. But people love lists, and we want people to love us, so we made a list. However, instead of looking at it as the "Top 10 Things to Do in Orlando", look at it as "The Top 10 Things Done By People Visiting Orlando". There are plenty of other great things that don't make this list, but these are activities that most people think are simply "can't miss" while in town.
1. Visit a Theme Park - Well this is a no-brainer! Of course the number one activity for people who visit Orlando is going to be spending a day at one of our world famous theme parks! The Orlando area is absolutely full of famous theme parks. In fact, Central Florida has more theme parks than any other area in the world. Chances are, if you aren’t here on business, then you are probably in Orlando to indulge at one (or more) of these theme parks. Our most famous parks include Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and Epcot, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios, and SeaWorld with its famous killer whale, Shamu. Whether you are looking for a magical wonderland of childhood characters, an entertaining day filled with wildlife, or a thrilling afternoon of roller coasters, you’ll be sure to find what you’re looking for during your visit.
2. Cool Off At a Water Park - The Florida heat makes this an easy second option for people visiting our city. What's better than a roller coaster? How about a roller coaster that gets your soaking wet! Our Water Parks are similar to our regular theme parks, except with slides, lazy rivers, and wave pools! These parks are great for our hot summer days and are fun for both adults and kids alike! Some of the parks even offer "extreme" water slides that will really get your heart pumping. How does a 76 foot (over 23 meters) drop down a steep water chute sound? Intense right? There are crazy slides and sunshine right around the corner at our five Orlando water parks; Wet N’ Wild, Aquatica, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, and the Coco Key Hotel and Water Resort.
3. Visit Our Other Attractions - Now we could have simply made a list of the numerous theme park attractions that we have here in Orlando, but that would be cheating, and you would be missing out on the hundreds of other things to see here in Orlando. We have everything from Dinner Shows and City Tours, to Wildlife Encounters and Skydiving (indoor and outdoor!). Be sure to take advantage of these equally entertaining (and usually cheaper!) Orlando attractions.
4. Take a Load Off with 18 Holes - The Orlando area boasts over 170 golf courses for our residents and guests to enjoy at their leisure. So whether you are a beginning golfer interested in picking up a new hobby, a seasoned veteran tempted to take on the fairways of Bay Hill, or somewhere in the middle, you’ll have easy access to multiple courses as most hotels are never more than a short drive away. On top of golf courses we also feature over 20 golf academies as well as dozens of driving ranges spread throughout the city. Be sure to check out our Golf page to find exactly what you are looking for.
5. Shop ‘Til You Drop - Orlando shopping truly allows a person to shop all day and barely scratch the surface of what the area has to offer. The Orlando area provides access to world class malls like the Mall at Millenia or the Florida Mall, and top notch outlets like the Orlando Premium Outlets, which offers 25% to 65% off of designer brands. While in Orlando, visitors will be able to shop for everything from Armani, to Gucci, to Prada, to Versace. Not to mention the countless other name brands in between! Our Shopping page is dedicated to just this, and will help you find the areas of Orlando with the best shopping for you!
6. Visit Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando - The downtown area of Orlando is centered around the beautiful Lake Eola. Over the years the lake has developed into a gathering place for vacationers and locals alike. With an incredible view of the Orlando skyline and dozens of top notch restaurants and eateries all around the area, Lake Eola is a great place to grab a bite to eat, relax, and take in a sunny afternoon. The lake also features attractions like daily swan boat rides and weekend events like farmer’s markets that offer unique foods and products.
7. Visit Winter Park - Technically a city all its own, Winter Park is one of the most beautiful areas in Greater Orlando. With stunning parks, dozens of incredible restaurants, and a true feel of the culture and heritage of Central Florida, it is easy to see why Winter Park is considered one of the best places to live and visit in Central Florida. Many residents of Orlando (including us here on the My Destination team) consider this one of the best areas to grab a bite to eat and enjoy the tranquility of Florida. Take a moment to browse the restaurants, bars, and things to do in and around the beautiful city of Winter Park.
8. Visit Our Beaches - Hopefully you’ve scheduled some time in your trip to allow for a visit to one of our famous beaches. Orlando is located just 45 minutes to an hour from the closest east coast beaches, and just an hour to an hour and a half to the closest west coast beaches, making the city an ideal place to explore all that Florida has to offer. Check out our beach guide to find out more about what is around and to find out which beach is right for you.
9. Catch One of Our Live Shows - Concerts, comedy, dinner shows, theatre, and dozens of other forms of live entertainment are all in store for you in the city of Orlando. Our reputation as a tourist destination attracts world class musicians and artists to the Hard Rock Cafe, the House of Blues, and the Amway Arena; and top notch shows like La Nouba by Cirque De Soleil. On any given night there will be numerous events to possibly attend so check our event calender as well as our suggestions for live entertainment to help plan the perfect evening for your family and friends.
10. Take a Tour of Orlando - There are quite a few options for great Orlando Tours. Some of them will teach you the history of Central Florida and the surrounding areas while others will give you unique views of Orlando that few people ever see. We have everything from walking tours, to segway tours, to helicopter tours, and hot air balloon rides. Yup, you read that right, you can even tour Orlando from the sky!
Photo Credits: Joel (flickr frikitiki) - The Hulk (Photo 1); Kissimmee Convention & Visitor Bureau - Old Town (Photo 3), Golf (Photo 4)
Downtown Orlando at Lake Eola
Epcot Fireworks - Photo by Ste...
Lake Eola at Night
Gatorland - Photo by Kissimmee...
Orlando Area Golfing -by Kissi...
The Hulk - Photo by Daryl Mitc...
"Travel and change of pace impart new vigor to the mind" - Seneca