Domvs Romana - Roman Villa
The My Destination iPad Air competition: terms and conditions
- The My Destination iPad Air competition (the "Competition") is open to anyone that is not an employee or agency of My Destination Limited ("MD").
- Entry into the Competition is acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- To enter the Competition you must sign in to MD, favourite a company and then provide a tip/suggestion about that business.
- A single winner will be chosen on the first (1) day of month by the content team (the "Judge") of MD. The winner will be selected based on the quality of the tip/suggestion they have published and it's helpfulness to other travellers.
- The winner will receive an iPad Air Wi-fi 16GB.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by email. The judges' decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as MD may require.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- MD reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice. The decision of MD in all matters under its control is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- MD accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the Competition or accepting the prize. MD further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person's computer relating to or resulting in connection with the Competition.
- The Competition will be governed by English law.
- Promoter: My Destination Ltd, 18A Pindock Mews, London, W9 2PY, UK.
Thanks for reporting this comment to us, our team of local experts will review it ASAP
To Add to your favourites you first need to:
Why Join? Here's why!(See terms and conditions)
Added to Trip Planner!
Unless you login items are only saved temporarily.
Why Join? Here's why!
The Roman Villa is situated just outside one of Mdina's gates which make it very convenient to visit. Make sure to grab a couple of 'Pastizzi' (traditional pastry delicacy) from the Crystal Palace Bar just across the street. The interesting Rabat/Dingli trackless train tour also departs from here.
The mosaic pavements in the Domvs Romana (Roman Villa) at Rabat rank among the finest and oldest mosaic compositions from the western Mediterranean, alongside those of Pompeii and Sicily. They were discovered in 1881 just outside Mdina in the remains of a rich and sumptuously decorated town house of the Roman period. This museum was one of the very first to be opened to the public.
The best features of this Roman Domus are its well-made polychrome mosaics found in the Peristyle and the surrounding rooms. The mosaic pavement of the central courtyard, which was once surrounded by a Doric peristyle, is the most representative of the whole site. The centre piece of this meandered pavement shows two doves perched on the rim of a bowl, a highly popular motif the origins of which may be traced to a painting by an artist from Sophos. The best tradition of Hellenistic pictorial culture, together with the extremely fine technique, undoubtedly qualify the mosaic compositions of the Roman house in Rabat among the finest examples of Hellenistic mosaic art.
The main attractions within the Domvs Romana include muslim tombstones, a draped female statue, a tiny bone baby rattle, bone hairpins, unguentaria and balsamari for oils and perfumes, rython (drinking vessel), glass amphora, statues of the imperial cycle, peristyle mosaic and decorative architecture.
Monday to Sunday: 9.00-17.00
Last admission: 16.30
Closed: 24, 25 & 31 December, 1 January, Good Friday
Adults (18 - 59 years): €6.00
Students (12 - 17 years), Senior Citizens (60 years and over): €4.50
Children (6 -11 years): €3.00
Infants (1 -5 years): Free
Multi Site Tickets available.
To Add as your favourite you first need to:
Why Join? Here's why!
Best For Whom:
- Mature Travellers
Best For What:
- Cultural Experience
- The Local Experience
How to get there:
By Public Transport: Bus Numbers 80, 81, 84. The Domvs Romana is situated just outside Mdina bastions. By self-drive car: Drive towards Rabat and park close to the Domvs Romana.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake" - Robert Louis Stevenson