Russia Travel Guides & Information
Today Russia's second city and undisputed tourist capital. St Petersburg is a thriving cultural hub with lively restaurants as well as modern art and music scenes.
Russia has perplexed the outside world with its mood swings for centuries. At its worst it is a land made impenetrable by snow and ice, a hostile wilderness inhabited by a stoic people who are fiercely patriotic. At its best a cultured nation leading the way in sophistication, an achingly beautiful country that is yet to be fully discovered by those beyond its borders.
Man has always done his best to rise to the challenge set by Mother Nature’s excess here. She conjured the world’s largest forest, the Siberian Taiga, so he constructed the world’s longest railway, the Trans-Siberian. She crafted Lake Baikal, the world’s deepest lake, so he turned his hand to architecture, and built dazzling masterpieces such as St. Basil’s Cathedral.
At the same time, Russia has always seen itself in competition with the outside world, an attitude that hasn’t always cultivated the rosiest of international relations. But without such drive, it wouldn’t be the country it is today, a place as rich in heritage as it is in wealth, where the refined arts of Saint Petersburg present relief from the hedonistic hub of Moscow, and where indulgence isn’t a choice, it’s an obligation.
Did you know
- Russia is the largest country in the world with an area of 17,075,400 square kilometres (6,592,800 sq. mi).
- Russia has the world’s largest forest reserves and is known as the “lungs of Europe”. It is second only to the Amazon rainforest in the amount of O2 it produces.
- Russia is also home to the world’s largest active volcano Klyuchevskaya Sopka, which has a height of 4,750 m
- Moscow has more billionaires than any other city. Last year, 79 were recorded compared to New York at number 2 with just 59.
- Russia is the only country in the world bordered by 12 seas.
Destinations in Russia
"A traveller without observation is a bird without wings" - Moslih Eddin Saadi